In honour of Women's Equality Day, I decided to shine light on a company who represents the Chinese proverb we are all too familiar with, “You give a poor man a fish and you feed him for a day. You teach him to fish and you give him an occupation that will feed him for a lifetime.”
Jimani Collections began when a small group of impoverished Kenyan women took a small class on learning the basics of how to make jewellery. Growing from a one-week class into an ongoing training and design entity, the people in both Kenya and the United States are on their way to finding a sustainable solution to poverty.
In Kenya, women are more likely than men to be unemployed. According to Unemployment and Underemployment in Kenya: A Gender Gap Analysis, only 5.4 percent of the female-male underemployment probability gap is explained. This is done through male-female differences in individual and household characteristics, while 94.6 per cent of the statistic remains unexplained.
Are you starting to see why Jimani Collections is doing such important work? Good.
Featured in this post is the Nikki Necklace, named after Nikki Hyodo. She works alongside the women in Kenya and oversees the production of jewellery, is an on-site photographer, manages sales in the Kenyan stores and acts as a mentor to the women.
The necklace is made of hand casted brass in a double-looped pendant. It's set on a gold chain (delicate) and is both a beautiful and versatile piece. More than 70 per cent of the cost of the necklace ($32) does directly back to Nikki in Kenya to support the work she is doing in Kenya.